Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mmmm! Coffee

Coffee is one of my favorite drinks. I love the smell of it in coffee shops and in the coffee aisle in grocery shops. I rarely start a day without one. South Indians are big fans of rich home brewed coffee. Some are passionate about their coffee to the extent that they would shop for the perfect coffee beans every month that would be roasted at home to perfection and ground to a specific granularity. The specifications extend further to the consistency to which the coffee should be brewed and the amount of milk and sugar that is added to achieve the taste that they approve and enjoy. Author RK Narayan has written an extremely interesting essay on coffee in his collection of essays called Next Sunday.


As much as I love coffee, I am not a connoisseur of coffee. I just buy my coffee from my local grocery shop and am even ready to experiment with various types of coffee. While I do make plain old coffee at home regularly, I like to make an occasional trip to the coffee shop for the fancy concoctions they offer. One of the attractions of is the cute latte art that the baristi create in the cups. I wondered how they make these beautiful images with coffee and milk. I found this site called Coffee Geek that explains the techniques of this art. You can read more articles on latte art on this site.

No comments: