Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Blogging Food

Recipe books and websites of "famous" chefs always disappointed me (mostly Indian chefs'). They usually have recipes that require several exotic (hard or expensive to procure) ingredients or have a very elaborate process. The explanation of the cooking process is sometimes poor or insufficient. On trying out those recipes, I'd on most occasions end with an unsatisfactory output.

The advent of food blogs is a great blessing for people like me who are not very versatile cooks and could use help with authentic recipes to dishes that can be prepared using readily available ingredients. I like the step by step explanation of the recipes in these food blogs. Many of them even have photographs of the steps to cooking a dish. Now whether I need a recipe for a traditional dish for regular dinner/lunch, or a party dish, I first hit the food blogs. The blog owners belong to different regions of the world, from different cultures. When they share recipes of their traditional dishes, you can be sure that you are looking at an authentic one.

Indira of Mahanandi is one of the most popular food bloggers around and is almost kind of a pioneer in the area. Incidentally, hers was the first food blog I visited about an year and a half ago. I got addicted ever since and check her blog for updates, every other day. Through her blog, I was introduced to several others. Indira's Mahanandi won the Indiblog award 2006 for the best food blog.

Here is a list of Indian food blogs that I check out:
(These blogs also include recipes from other regions and all around the world)

Mahanandi - Andhra cuisine
Ginger and Mango - Kerela Cuisine
Bong Mom's Cookbook - Bengali Cuisine
En Ulagam - Tamil cuisine
Aayi's Recipes - Marathi cuisine
AkshayaPatra - Tamil cuisine
Sailu's Kitchen - Andhra cuisine
Malabar Spices - Kerela cuisine

Three cheers to the food bloggers!

No comments: