Thursday, July 05, 2007

A Stew of Names

Ram Gopal Varma is seemingly done dabbling with the cast of his Sholay remake movie. We never know though, he still might change the actor cast to play Jai, Veeru, Basanti or some other character. The title of the film is undergoing a metamorphosis. Sholay to Ram Gopal Varma Ke Sholay...and now Ram Gopal Varma ke Aag! (...Ke Aag? plural? I always thought fire is a single entity!) I don't understand his logic of putting his name in the title. The movie banner does contain his name already. I now appreciate the titles like Daag - The Fire and Aan - Men at Work better.

Meanwhile, RGV is also cooking up a stew of names of his film characters. Here is where it gets funnier. Gabbar Singh's name has been changed to Baban Singh, Basanti to Ghungroo, Radha to Devi, Soorma Bhopali to Rambha Bhai, and Sambha to Tambhe. Hee...hee.. I am waiting for more fun on this front. The process of making this movie is more fun than what the movie would turn out to be. I have never liked remakes anyway. I think the only Hindi remake I liked is Bimal Roy's Devdas starring Dilip Kumar, Suchitra Sen, and Vyjayanthimala, which was a remake of PC Barua's Devdas starring KL Saigal, Jamuna, and Rajkumari.

Story source:
http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2007/jul/02look.htm
http://www.ourbollywood.com/2007/07/rgvs_sholay_is_now_ram_gopal_v.html

No comments: